The following Core Principles and Values are meant to further describe key elements
of psychiatric rehabilitation practice.
Core Principles of Psychiatric Rehabilitation
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practitioners convey hope and respect, and believe that
all individuals have the capacity for learning and growth.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practitioners recognize that culture is central to recovery,
and strive to ensure that all services are culturally relevant to individuals receiving
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practitioners engage in the processes of informed and
shared decision-making and facilitate partnerships with other persons identified
by the individual receiving services.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practices build on the strengths and capabilities of
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practices are person centered; they are designed to address
the unique needs of individuals, consistent with their values, hopes and aspirations.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practices support full integration for people in recovery
into their communities where they can exercise their rights of citizenship, as well
as to accept the responsibilities and explore the opportunities that come with being
a member of a community and of a larger society.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practices promote self-determination and empowerment.
All individuals have the right to make their own decision, including decisions about
the types of services and supports they receive.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practices facilitate the development of personal support
networks by utilizing natural supports within communities, peer support initiatives,
and self and mutual help groups.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practices strive to help individuals improve the quality
of all aspects of their lives; including social, occupational, educational, residential,
intellectual, spiritual and financial.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation practices promote health and wellness, encouraging individuals
to develop and use individualized wellness plans.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation services emphasize evidence-based promising, and emerging
best practices that produce outcomes congruent with personal recovery. Programs
include structured program evaluation and quality improvement mechanisms that actively
involve persons receiving services.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation services must be readily accessible to all individuals
whenever they need them. These services also should be well coordinated and integrated
with other psychiatric, medical, and holistic treatments and practices.